If you are like me, you have been captivated by watching the Olympics at any and every opportunity that you can. Maybe, even staying up later at night or even past midnight. Sound familiar?
We have truly entered into the first “Social Olympic Games” and anything and everything is so accessible…right at our finger tips. Couple of clicks is all it takes. With all of the social media keeping us posted in real time, if we’re interested, it’s great to see which Olympians have stepped up their ‘social’ game and find out which athletes have gained the most attention and followers from these London Games.
Social Media Analytics company, PeopleBrowsr, recently collected numbers from their Kred influence management tool to determine their social influence, mainly using Twitter as a key factor. A score was based out of 1,000 for the following athletes.
Gold Medal Winners:
* LeBron James: @KingJames has taken the podium at the top with his social media influence. Scored 999 out of 1,000 with his over 5,600,000 followers, re-tweeted over 1 million times, and replies received at over 1.2 million.
* Kevin Durant: @KDTrey5 , another US basketball star, came in with a score of 992. Durant has over 2.6 million followers on Twitter and has tweeted over 20,700 times.
* Michael Phelps: @michaelphelps tallied a score of 977 (tying Hope Solo but had more social interaction) with over 689,000 followers, almost 64,000 re-tweets, and over 75,000 replies received.
* Hope Solo: @hopesolo came in with a score of 977 as well with almost 543,000 followers, re-tweeted 75,000+ times and 148k replies received.
Other “Medal” Winners:
* Missy Franklin: @FranklinMissy NBC’s Michelle Beadle just reported around 12:30 EST that Missy is the most popular female US Olympic athlete with 1000% increase since the Opening Ceremony. Her swimming success and smiles have turned her into a household name.
* Ryan Lochte: @ryanlochte Florida’s homegrown Olympic swimmer has caught the eye of many across the country and finished with a score of 975.
* Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, & Gabrielle Douglas: @jordyn_wieber @aly_raisman @gabrielledoug have won the hearts of those following the US Gymnastics Team as they finished with the Team Gold Medal! Their respectives scores were 937, 912, and 899.
Top Tweeters: Other Olympians with over 13,000 tweets
* Bianca Knight (Track & Field), Marcus Browne (Boxing), Kendrick Farris (Weightlifting), Kellie Wells (Track & Field), Brittney Reese (Track & Field), Tony McQuay (Track & Field), Swin Cash (Basketball), Candace Parker (Basketball), Sanya Richards Ross (Track & Field), Jason Richardson (Track & Field), T’erea Brown (Track & Field), Jamel Herring (Boxing).
Honorable Mentions for quirkiness & fun:
* Lolo Jones, James Harden, Nick Symmonds, Ricky Berens, Justin Gatlin, Shalane Flanagan, Ryan Hall, & Ashton Eaton.
There is so much happening during these Olympics, both on the television and online that we may not to miss a thing.