Google and Bing have a long history of competing with each other in the media, whenever possible. Bing is now taking a hit at Google in a blog, after the newest updates –Penguin and Panda. The blogger is the Senior Product Manager Duane Forrester, who even wrote a short poem about Google (via SearchEngineWatch):
Animal kingdom hurting ROI?
Pandas and penguins, oh my!
Take control and tell the fauna “Bye Bye”,
With these helpful suggestions to diversify!
As clever as Forrester may be, he is correct. SEO must always be diversified because experience search engine marketing companies know that Google changes its algorithm pretty regularly. Unfortunately after the panda update, many companies and websites fell apart. They failed to diversify traffic sources.
“You have no more right to rank at Google than the billions of other pages on the web. And yet some people possess a bet-the-farm mentality when they secure a top rank on Google’s search results page than whine when hey lose it,” said Mike Grehan, vice president and global content director of Incisive Media.
Grehan is right. While ranking on the top of Google’s search results is an enormous boost to a company, you have to work to keep it there and roll with Google’s punches.
Forrester offered these tips on his blog:
- Reality Check: Algorithms change. Rankings change. Competition happens. The fact is, you need to be prepared. Look for other plans to protect from loss in one area; diversify.
- Forecasting Change: Yes, it’s hard to gaze into the crystal ball and see where things are heading, but if you look back a big, you often see close. Stick your head up and look around every so often.
- Preventative Work: This section encompasses all of those projects you know should be done, yet linger unfinished. It even includes things that are less a project and more and ethos for your organization. The bottom line on this is to be successful in search today, we’re so beyond just SEO that most businesses don’t even realize it.
- Exercise in the Obvious: Pinterest. It didn’t take long for the “Pin It” button to start popping up on websites. Look at what’s obvious.
- DIVERSIFY: If your business suffers when an algo gets tweaked, insulate yourself from that. Any first year marketing student will tell you this: having all your business in one basket is bad news. You need to diversify.
We have to agree with Forrester, even if he has a slight vendetta against Google. It’s always best to prepare yourself with the best SEO company you can. Keep yourself informed and always be proactive.
What do you think Google will do next with SEO?