There is much power in LinkedIn, that many people let go untapped without using its full potential. Some may guess at what to add more to their profile and get ‘lucky’ but knowing what to focus in on and make a part of your profile can really help people find you in search results.
To help you from guessing, we’ve shared several key tips below to help optimize your profile:
1. Personally create and set your URL to match your brand, if at all possible. In fact, doing this for all of your social media profiles is ideal.
2. In your Headline, Summary, Current/Past Job Description, Interests, Skills, Expertise…use key words. It may seem like you’re overdoing it but in as much as a natural way as possible, adding key words will help you get found.
3. Ask for recommendations. Who appears to have more authority? One who has zero or one recommendation or someone who has several or more?
4. Group memberships and Connections. How many groups are you connected to… and how many connections (friends, etc) you have does also play a part in how you are ranked in search results.
5. Profile allows for a few links. Many may not know this but in your profile “Additional information” section, you are allowed to insert three links to outbound links which could include your blog, website, or other social media pages, etc, and can customize the “other” section to better fit your description.
6. Is your profile 100% complete? Near the top right of your profile page, LinkedIn will let you know if they consider your profile 100% complete or less. If it is not 100%, what is standing in the way from fully completing your profile?